Wake on LAN through Internet
I write this tutorial to show how it is simple wakup a PC through Internet using WOL feature.
What is WOL feature?
Wake-on-LAN (WOL) is an Ethernet computer networking standard that allows a computer to be turned on or woken up by a network message.
The message is usually sent by a program executed on another computer on the same local area network. It is also possible to initiate the message from another network by using Subnet directed broadcasts or a WOL gateway service. Wake-on-LAN is implemented using a special network message called a magic packet. The magic packet contains the MAC address of the destination computer. The listening computer waits for a magic packet addressed to it and then initiates system wake-up.
To enable WOL feature, you need:
Step #1: Enable WOL feature in your Bios. To more details check your guide.
Step #2: Download WOL software.
There are many WOL software (search with google…), but in this tutorial I use the Magic packet sender software (http://magicpacket.free.fr/).
Step #3: Find the Mac address of your PC
Step #4: Configure Cisco router
- Define a static arp entry
- Define a Port address translation (PAT)
First of all, on the Ciscozine router define the entry:
arp 192.168.1.10 0020.cd3d.17c4 ARPA
Where 192.168.1.10 and 0020.cd3d.17c4 are the IP address and the MAC address of the PC to wake up.
Define a static pat translation:
ip nat inside source static udp 192.168.1.10 65535 interface Dialer1 7010
Now you can test the WOL feature: shutdown the WOL-host, open the magic sender software on the other host and configure it as you can see below:
Then… press the “Send” button and your pc will wake up :)
Note: The switch does not required any additional configuration.
- Sheep Marketplace Owner Arrested While Trying to Buy Luxury Home: Thomas Jiřikovský, an alleged Owner... http://t.co/86jHxnln0I #hackers
- 13-year-old SSL/TLS Weakness Exposing Sensitive Data in Plain Text: The most popular and widely used ... http://t.co/oY4me002TL #hackers
- GitHub hit by Massive DDoS Attack From China: Github – a popular coding website used by programmers t... http://t.co/40iHi4yohE #hackers
Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts.